DIY Bliss: Step by Step Guide To Installing Wallpaper In Your Bedroom
Are you tired of the same old, plain walls in your bedroom? Do you want to add a touch of personality and style to your space? Installing wallpaper is a fantastic way to transform the look and feel of your bedroom. Not only does it offer endless design possibilities, but it is also a project that you can easily tackle yourself. In this step by step guide, we will walk you through the process of installing wallpaper in your bedroom, ensuring a successful and beautiful result. So roll up your sleeves, grab your tools, and let’s get started on your DIY bliss!
1. Gather Your Materials
The first step towards a successful wallpaper installation is gathering all the necessary materials. Here’s a list of what you’ll need:
- Wallpaper adhesive
- Smoothing brush or roller
- Measuring tape
- Utility knife
- Drop cloth or plastic sheet
- Bucket of water
Make sure you have all these items ready before you begin, as it will save you time and ensure a smooth installation process.
2. Prepare Your Walls
Before you start applying the wallpaper, it’s essential to prepare your walls properly. Follow these steps:
- Clean the walls: Remove any dust, dirt, or grease from the walls using a sponge and a mild detergent solution. This will help the wallpaper adhere better.
- Repair any damages: If there are any holes, cracks, or imperfections on your walls, fill them with spackle or putty. Once dry, sand them down until smooth.
- Prime the walls: Applying a coat of wallpaper primer will create a smooth surface and ensure better adhesion of the wallpaper. Allow the primer to dry completely before moving on.
By properly preparing your walls, you’ll create a clean and even canvas for your wallpaper installation.
3. Measure and Cut the Wallpaper
Now that your walls are ready, it’s time to measure and cut your wallpaper. Follow these steps:
- Measure the height of your wall: Use a measuring tape to determine the height of your wall. Add a few extra inches at the top and bottom to allow for adjustments.
- Mark the wallpaper: On the back of the wallpaper, mark the measured height using a pencil or a piece of tape.
- Cut the wallpaper: Use a sharp utility knife to cut the wallpaper along the marked line. Take your time and ensure a straight and precise cut.
Repeat these steps for each strip of wallpaper you’ll be installing. Label each strip to keep track of their order and placement.
4. Apply the Wallpaper Adhesive
With your wallpaper cut and ready, it’s time to apply the adhesive. Follow these steps:
- Prepare the adhesive: Read the instructions on your wallpaper adhesive and mix it according to the manufacturer’s recommendations. Most adhesives require mixing with water.
- Apply the adhesive: Use a paint roller or a brush to apply a thin and even layer of adhesive to the back of your first strip of wallpaper. Pay extra attention to the edges and corners.
- Book the wallpaper: Once the adhesive is applied, gently fold the wallpaper onto itself, with the adhesive sides touching. This process is called “booking” and allows the adhesive to activate.
- Let it rest: Let the booked wallpaper rest for the time specified in the adhesive instructions. This allows the adhesive to fully activate and the wallpaper to expand or contract.
Follow the same steps for each strip of wallpaper, ensuring a consistent and thorough application of adhesive.
5. Hang the Wallpaper
Now comes the exciting part – hanging the wallpaper on your walls. Follow these steps for a successful installation:
- Start at a corner: Begin hanging your first strip of wallpaper in a corner of the room, where your eye is less likely to notice any slight imperfections.
- Align the wallpaper: Align the top of the wallpaper strip with the top of the wall, leaving a slight overhang at the ceiling. Use a level to ensure the strip is straight.
- Smooth out the wallpaper: Starting from the center, use a smoothing brush or roller to gently smooth out the wallpaper, removing any air bubbles or wrinkles.
- Trim the excess: Once the wallpaper is smoothed out, use a sharp utility knife to trim off the excess at the top and bottom. Take care not to cut into the wall.
- Match the pattern: If your wallpaper has a pattern, make sure each strip is aligned correctly to maintain a seamless look. Use the edge of a putty knife or a straight edge to match the patterns.
Repeat these steps for each strip of wallpaper, ensuring a tight fit and a visually pleasing result.
6. Final Touches
With all the wallpaper in place, it’s time for the final touches. Follow these steps to complete your installation:
- Clean the wallpaper: Use a sponge and clean water to gently wipe off any excess adhesive from the surface of the wallpaper. This will prevent any staining or damage.
- Smooth out any imperfections: If you notice any small bubbles or imperfections on the wallpaper, use a smoothing brush or roller to gently push them out towards the edges.
- Let it dry: Allow the wallpaper to dry completely before moving any furniture back into the room or adding decorations.
By following these final touches, your wallpaper installation will be complete, and you can enjoy your newly transformed bedroom.
Installing wallpaper in your bedroom can be a rewarding and creative DIY project. By following this step by step guide, you’ll be able to achieve a professional-looking result without the need for expensive contractors. Remember to gather all your materials, prepare your walls, measure and cut the wallpaper, apply the adhesive, hang the wallpaper, and finish with the final touches. Take your time, stay patient, and enjoy the process. Soon enough, you’ll have a stunning bedroom that reflects your personal style and brings a sense of bliss to your everyday life.